Self-care is a personal matter. For everyone is different. Self-care activities will vary depending on your needs and preferences, and that is why we all need a different self-care plan! Self-care can have many different areas and aspects. It does not mean only taking care of your body or only meditating. It has to do with taking care of the overall aspects of your wellbeing.
Sometimes it may be difficult to have a self-care routine that matches your needs, so I have created a list of activities for all different aspects of your wellbeing so that you can create your own plan!
You can practice self-care for your physical, psychological, emotional, or spiritual self. Choose activities that are meaningful to you and help you reach your own self-care goals!
Appreciating and caring for your body. This involves skin-care, workouts, food. Activities that help you to stay healthy, energetic, and comfortable in your body.
- Develop a regular sleep routine.
- Aim for a healthy and balanced diet. Try adding food that you like and don’t reduce the number of nutrients that your body needs.
- Take breaks during your day.
- Go for a daily walk.
- Get some exercise regularly. Don’t work out as an obligation, it will be hard to find motivation if you do not like the workout. There are plenty of options, choose an activity you enjoy such as yoga, dancing, running, CrossFit.
Activities that help you to feel clear-headed. It is the balance between stimulating your mind and giving it a break!
- Keep a reflective journal.
- Enjoy a creative hobby. Read a book, start a puzzle, write, draw, paint, play games.
- If you are currently working from home, be strict with your working hours to avoid overwork.
- Take a break from social media for a few hours.
- Make time for relaxation every day. Cook a nice meal, read a book after dinner, take a warm shower.
- Make time to engage with friends and family regularly.
Understanding and caring for our emotions. Embracing our emotional side and nourish healthy relationships. Involves activities that allow yourself to safely experience emotions, express them in a healthy way, and learn from them.
- Keep an emotions agenda. Write down the emotions you feel to understand the cause. You can use our free downloadable agenda if you don’t have one.
- Engage with supportive family members or friends.
- Keep feelings/emotions lists. Write good things that you did each day, things you are grateful for, or anything that makes you feel safe and positive.
- Although sometimes is hard, talking about your feelings can be incredibly helpful. Expressing your thoughts and emotions it’s a great way to cope with them.
- Prioritize healthy relationships.
A deeper connection to ourselves. It helps us understand our purpose, who we are, and the true meaning of self-love. Having a sense of our life beyond our daily routines is a great way to find inspiration, motivation, and willpower to be better people.
- Try practices that make you have a deeper connection with yourself, such as meditation and yoga.
- Have reflective and deep conversations with people you trust.
- Reflect on your own experiences and life. This helps you understand your goals and your behavior.
- Prioritize healthy and supportive relationships that help you reflect on your purpose.
Create your own self-care plan
Take one or two activities for each aspect of your self-care and create a plan that you enjoy, and that is easy to follow. Place this plan where you can see it every day as a reminder. Stick to your plan and practice the activities regularly. This plan is yours, you can modify it, add new, or replace some activities. It is important that you enjoy it so you can continue to find the motivation to do it regularly.
After a few weeks, you can reflect on how you feel, and evaluate if your self-care plan is helping you. The most important thing is that your whole wellbeing gets better. A good plan will help you improve your life in all aspects. It will help you find self-love, prioritize your needs, and cope with life challenges.
Make a plan that resonates with you, a plan that you enjoy, and that you can put into action every day!